Welcome to UNC Chapel Hill Chemistry!
Summer 2023 APPLICATION CYCLE:
Applications are due February 20. Letters of recommendation are accepted through March 1.
The Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity in Chemistry (SUROC) provides students from outside* the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill an opportunity to engage in hands-on cutting-edge research in our state of the art facilities. This is an opportunity to experience Carolina Chemistry, recognized by ACS as one of the top ten graduate programs.
During our 10 week program, students will conduct independent research under the mentorship of one of our world-class research faculty. Students can choose to work in a research laboratory in any of our five divisions: Analytical, Biological, Inorganic, Organic, Physical, or Polymer/Materials. A small cohort of students will work together building a strong scholarly foundation through weekly professional development experiences. The program will provide additional opportunities outside hands-on laboratory work: site visits to large pharmaceutical and small startup companies; introduction to scientific entrepreneurship; experience presenting scientific research; training in research ethics; and exposure to chemical equipment and facilities. Outside of professional development, our cohorts have no-cost weekend adventures to explore the many activities the Triangle Area of NC has to offer.
Dates | Details
2023 dates: May 26 – July 30
- 9 weeks of hands-on research with UNC Chemistry faculty, postdoctoral associates and graduate students
- Special seminars related to presenting scientific research and writing scholarly abstracts and papers
- Workshops related to graduate programs and professional development skills
- Social activities: Durham Bulls Game, Bowling, and more
- Participation in a research symposium at the end of summer where you will be required to present your research in a poster presentation
Stipend | Travel | Housing
- $6,000 stipend
- On-campus housing worth $2200 provided in Ram Village Apartments
Eligibility | Requirements
- Must be a US Citizen or permanent resident
- Rising Juniors or Seniors, exceptional rising Sophomores will be considered
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Chemistry Majors or relevant coursework with a strong emphasis in chemistry
- Women, students with disabilities, and underrepresented minority students (defined by NSF as African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, American Indian, Alaska Native, and Pacific Islander) are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Instructions | Application Materials
- Instructions to apply can be found here.
- Deadline is Feb. 20
*Please note- Any student who is currently enrolled at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (full or part-time) is ineligible to apply.